My Favorite Front Porch Story

l52e21245-m0xd-w640_h480_q80

A fresh sense of hope entered our home as dear friends arrived for dinner. What a comfort it is to break bread around the dining room table with special family and soul mates.

IMG_2264

Though our hearts revived through exceptional fellowship and food, we still needed a private hour to receive counsel from our dear friends who came to help us bear our heavy burden.

Someone suggested the four of us retreat to the front porch. What a grand idea! We meandered out and stood still for a moment as we breathed in the enticing smells of a Georgia summer. Our sweet company took the time to admire my husband’s handiwork as they observed the freshly stained deck and the crisp white rails.

The birds chirped softly in the background as we sat down in the old rockers with a bright new coat of paint, which seemed to revive them to their original state. I deeply sighed as I listened to the gentle creak of that old armchair against the planks of wood. I then opened my mouth to ask the question that had been burning in my heart.

“Is it okay for my soul-wounded pastor/husband to leave a flock we deeply love?” My diseased body and depressed soul longed for answers. The light cool breeze refreshed our skin, as their words refreshed our souls. We knew that we knew, their response was from Him

Due to that front porch counsel, we have since sold that lovely Georgia home and most of our possessions and moved to Florida. We are each pursuing our God-given passion to teach, preach, counsel, and speak the gospel here, and around the world.

I now encourage you to step out and away onto your “front porch”, wherever that is for you. Perhaps with trusted mentors, or perhaps just you, Jesus, and His Word. Quiet your soul and listen. He will show up. He will speak.

IMG_2380

“There, there on eagle’s wings we soar,And time and sense seem all no more,And heaven comes down our souls to greet,And glory crowns the mercy seat.” (From Every Stormy Wind that Blows, Hugh Stowell)

14 thoughts on “My Favorite Front Porch Story

1. Chas Lutz

Nice!  Do you know Anne’s friend Julie who is also a writer?  Heading west next week.

Charles Lutz

From:”Securely Held” Date:Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:31 pm Subject:[New post] My Favorite Front Porch Story

securelyheld posted: “Ps 99:1 The LORD reigns; let the peoples tremble! He dwells between the cherubim; let the earth be moved! A fresh sense of hope entered our home as dear friends arrived for dinner. What a comfort it is to break bread around the dining room table wi”

2. gayidle

Love this…you took me right to that beautiful front porch that I remember. Praying for you in your new ventures! Continue taking those ‘first steps’ in following where He leads in your new ministries and surroundings. I know that He has plans to use you in amazing ways!
    blessings and love to you sweet friend!

3. Karen

We are too busy in our culture today. Most of us have no time to enjoy a sunset, or crisp moonlit night or the sound of crickets on a warm summer night. “Front Porches” beckon us to slow down, to pause, and to contemplate… to “be still and know that He is God.” thanks for this beautiful picture.

4. Sherry Carter

What a beautiful picture of calmness. You are so blessed to have dear friends to step out on the front porch with you. Three years ago, God led us into a new venture. It’s been hard but we’ve both grown to trust Him more. It encourages my heart to know that, when God moves us, He goes before us and walks with us.

1. securelyheld Post author

Thank you for your encouraging words, Sherry. I totally agree with “it’s been hard but we’ve both grown to trust Him more.)! Blessings to you!

5. findingourfeetorg

Congrats on the move! I’m encouraged that you are following God’s call, even into the unknown. It gives me hope as we continue to explore a position together in ministry and a possible move ourselves. I know your previous congregation will miss you both dearly, but also that many new souls will be blessed by your kindness, generosity and love for Christ. And feel free to invite us to visit during the Michigan winters. 😉

6. Ariëlla

Thanks for you beautiful post and nice photos. Yes, let’s quiet our soul and listen. He will show up. He will speak: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go.”

7. Emmeline Cox

Thank you for this touching and beautiful story. It reminds me freshly that God can be found anywhere, including on our front porch. We can seek Him on a quiet porch or a noisy balcony, or anywhere at all! Thank you.