Are You a Stuffer?

Choosing-Soft-HolleyGerth.com_-150x150“Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well.”          (Matthew 9:22 NASB)

Hello, Friend:

Have you ever struggled with isolation, fear, anxiety, depression, undiagnosed physical symptoms? I have!

The above verse (spoken by Jesus) is from the story of a woman who had been struggling with a hemorrhage for twelve years. She followed Jesus in the midst of a crowd, knowing if she could “only touch His garment, she could get well.” What faith she had in the healing power of Jesus! However, it is important to remember that the most significant healing in this life is spiritual. Many times our Savior healed the body and the soul in the same encounter with those drawn to Him.

John 8:36 says, “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.” (NASB)

I sadly confess that for many years as a Christian (and pastor’s wife) I did not walk in this freedom, as I was still in bondage to my past. I was a “stuffer,” stuffing the pain down deep, never choosing to think about it much less share it. The older I got, the harder it got to keep the pain under the surface. The pain began to manifest itself in ways that were anything but productive. As Jo Ann Fore says in her book, “When a Woman Finds Her Voice”:

“Those things we stuff, try so hard to ignore, they are the very things begging for release–the things that hold the promise of hope, the flame of freedom.”

What about you? Are you a stuffer? It may seem less painful at the moment to stuff, but I assure you it will come out in other ways, such as isolation, fear, anxiety, depression, undiagnosed physical symptoms, etc. Processing the pain at the moment hurts, but it hurts much more to keep it inside.

“The story you’re scared to share–that story has the power to change both your life and the lives of others.” Jo Ann Fore

“But Jesus turning and seeing her said, ‘Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well.’ At once the woman was made well.” (John 9:22 NASB)

Dear daughter of Jesus, take courage! As you step out in faith and share your story, you too will be made well.

“Every joy or trial falleth from above,

Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;

We may trust Him fully all for us to do;

They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.”

(from the hymn “Like a River Glorious” by Frances R. Havergal)

18 thoughts on “Are You a Stuffer?

1. Melinda

Definitely a stuffer to my own detriment emotionally and physically. I seem to have reentered a stage of denial about my past, and was running away from further revelation and healing. This morning I wrote in my journal to unlock some of this heartache. I wept. Sobbed buckets of tears. Depression is daunting, but at least I had a release. I just have to acknowledge I need more healing in my life. I needed your words my dear sista. Thank you.

2. madenewinjesus

What a beautiful post Cheryl. I know that I’m definitely a ‘stuffer’. Through my despair, fears, and whatever unknown future lies hidden from my view, some days I find it easier to remain stagnant under my own lonely cloud. As women, finding our voice to share what we’re going through with others helps, but I believe you’re right in that taking our pain to Jesus and reaching a point of surrendering to personally touching His garment, can we be made whole again.

3. April "Gemmy" Boyer

This is beautiful, and well said. I’m not so much a stuffer as a stuffy nosed weeper. But I know there have been situations when I stuffed the feelings way down deep. Its not a good way to live. I love the illustration of the woman who touched Jesus’ hem. I’ve just seen a beautiful painting of the same and would love to share it. Thanks!

4. Michelle Bengtson

Cheryl, what a beautiful post, and wonderful encouragement to take courage! The Lord gave me the theme “Boldly Courageous” for 2015, and it does take courage not to stuff. But we have a saying in the mental health field: you have to feel it to heal it. Here’s to Jesus doing a mighty healing for all who read this post!

5. findingourfeetorg

I am definitely a stuffer. And it builds up and then bursts out in a tear-fest like it did this morning at my women’s Bible study. :/ Luckily it is a small group and we support each others outbursts. 😉 That Bible verse has been ringing in my ears lately, “…your faith has made you well.” How beautiful and powerful. I pray that God increases our faith. I also agree with what Jo Ann wrote and I think it is particularly true in your situation. Your story is a powerful testimonial of trust, God’s grace and the strength and comfort we can only find in Him. Your story and courage continue to impact me and I am blessed to have met you. Keep pressing on, my love!

6. Walter Kahler

Thanks Cheryl for sharing your honesty. I sure can identify with your pain and keeping it inside. I know when I stuff painful feelings they manifest themselves in other ways too. You hit the nail on the head when you shared “However, it is important to remember that the most significant healing in this life is spiritual”. The more I keep spiritually fit by continuing on improving a personal relationship with Christ the more courage I obtain to face the music and let Him guide my thoughts and conscience. Isn’t Christ amazing!