You’re Being Followed!

psalm-23“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:6)

I was in the drive-thru at Whataburger in Corpus Christi, Texas in my 1984 red mustang listening to the latest 80’s hits. I happened to glance into my rearview mirror.   My body froze as I saw his menacing face. It was my abusive ex-boyfriend. How long had he been following me? I got my food and made a quick exit, deciding to head to the house of a friend of mine who lived on Padre Island. It was a terrifying ride over the bridge to the Island as he hugged my bumper and drove inches beside me trying to force me to pull over.

How about you? Have you ever been stalked or followed? It sure doesn’t sound like a good thing does it? Meditate on the above verse from Psalm 23. When we receive Christ as our Lord and Savior, He becomes our Good Shepherd.   He not only guides and provides for us, but also sends His goodness and mercy to follow us…all the days of our lives! The storms, the deep valleys, the heartbreaking losses when friends despise and forsake us, through the piercing pain of wayward children; His presence is still with us and His goodness and mercy are following us. I often counsel ones going through gut wrenching trials to “look up.” I can also exhort them to “look behind” with eyes of faith and see His goodness and mercy. They are always there, following us, whether we feel them or not. Cling to His promises and proclaim this truth until it truly fills your heart.

IMG_1956

By God’s goodness and mercy I arrived safely at my friend’s home, but, unfortunately, that was not the last of the struggles I had with that young man. I stubbornly chose to defy sound counsel and put myself in harms way rather than look to my Good Shepherd to fill the void in my heart. However, I had received Him as my Savior in sixth grade, and He followed me!

“I fled Him down the nights and days

I fled Him down the path of years

I heard all about the love of the One

Who was following me

I clung to every shallow friend

The whistling mane of every wind

I feared that once I tasted that love

I could never let go…” (Hound of Heaven, Michael Card)

How about you? Do you have a loved one on the run from the Hound of Heaven? Turn your despair into prayer. My sweet mother spent many sleepless nights praying for me. If they are His, He will not let them go. Even in the midst of painful consequences of sin, His goodness and mercy are following them.

Now contemplate the last words of Psalm 23:6:

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

His goodness and mercy in this life and heaven too! We will see Him face to face, and dwell with Him forever.

Hallelujah, what a Savior!

22 thoughts on “You’re Being Followed!

1. securelyheld Post author

That’s funny, Debbie! I was born and raised in Corpus Christi, but have been gone for 23 years now. We have lived in the Atlanta area for 13 years now. My husband is from central Indiana.
      We lived in Hammond, IN for 8 years. His family still lives in Indy so we get back at least once a year. 🙂

1. Christine Duncan

In this life and the next! Amen! A wonderful thing to cling to… I love that in the original hebrew the word ‘surely’ means [indeed! it is promised!] and how exciting is that? He surrounds us with His presence as promised… not matter what.
    Such a lovely post, full of the Spirit, encouraging for the believer! I’m so glad I visited today Cheryl, have a wonderful weekend.

2. Jeannie Pallett

It is such a precious thing to know He is present with us at all times and has promised to never leave us or forsake and has goodness and mercy following us. Wonder what it would be like if we could ‘see’ in the spirit and become aware of our protection from on high. I think we might live in that place of ‘fear not’!

3. Mary Collins

Fine post. I thought of my niece as I read your story. She has chosen an unsafe, ungodly path through life, and has yet to turn her life over to the Lord. We have been praying for her salvation for many years.

4. Steve Patterson

Mustang eh? My daughter would love that, she is fascinated with Mustangs. I even as a male, have been stocked and followed before by an ex girlfriend. It is no pleasant experience. Nothing I wished on anyone. No matter the bad we face, God means good of the evil that faces us. David offers us good news, God is always with us. That is refreshing to know. Plus it is backed up often in the Bible how God is always with us. God always wants us to go to Him. Thanks for sharing this post. I saw you on CBCE on Google. God Bless and Keep on Blogging for God.

5. Carrie Ann Tripp

This seems to be a theme for the day. Followed and stalked. Perhaps I need to link your post at the end of my post today. 🙂

I am also mentioning a different kind of following/stalking today. Social media and how we need to do some unfriending.

It is amazing grace, however, that God doesn’t accept our “I unfriend you.” when we’re doing some wandering. He is always with us when we are a child of His.

6. Sharon

Oh! How He loves us! Years ago a 19 yr. old girl was far from home. She was escaping some bad company. Running down some back alleys in Columbus, Ohio in the misting rain just before midnight, “The Lord is my Shepherd” came to me in a way I would never have imagined. I had recited this Psalm in Sunday school as a child. I did not know Jesus personally then, but things began to change. A stranger gave me money to take a bus back home to Colorado.The Good Shepard is patient with His sheep. Oh how He loves us.

7. findingourfeetorg

Turn your despair into prayer! Great line.
    Your story brings back similar memories. I had finally gotten up the courage to leave my ex husband and for a long time, he kept trying to find me. Randomly one day I was driving down the road and a jeep that I didn’t recognize started swerving all over the road near me, and just driving erratically. We came up to a stoplight and I realized it was him. He started swearing at me and making obscene gestures, revving his engine and just acting all sorts of crazy. It was such a strange moment because I had been so afraid of him up till this point, but something about that experience was so freeing for me. I had been feeling all this guilt for going through a divorce, but I knew in that moment I had made the right decision. I smiled at him and then cut quickly down a side street before he could switch lanes.
    You are so right. God never lets go. My ex wanted me to give up my faith so badly, but God wouldn’t let me shake Him. He has pulled me through worse and I’m glad you took me back there. It makes me appreciate what I have now so much more.
    I’m sorry you went through something similar but am glad Christ is still following both of us. ❤ God bless, sweet Cheryl!

8. securelyheld Post author

Wow, Krisit..sorry you went through something similar with your ex husband. It was only divine intervention which kept me from marrying the man I dated from the time I was 15 to 19. How beautiful too see where God has us both now. 🙂

9. Rodney

I agree with Kristi, that is an excellent line… ‘turn your despair into prayer.’ Awesome! This ‘prayer’ stood out to me as not only something we eventually resort to because when it comes to moving the hand of God in the lives of others or our own, all we have is despair! Personally, I’ve been on a quest for the ins and outs of prayer and I believe that is my new mantra for prayer. Thanks for this Cheryl.