His Sheep Hear His Voice

Image

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;”
John
10:27

I was a newly wedded pastor’s wife, recently returned from a delightful honeymoon.  I was enjoying some early morning reading time, on a hot South Texas day.  While perusing 1 Timothy Chapter 1 in my Bible, suddenly verse 15 leapt off the page.

“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.”  (NIV)

The Holy Spirit impressed upon my heart, that like Paul, He was going to use my past to glorify His name, and help others. At times He chooses the “worst of sinners” to minister for Him.  The impression was so very clear, I was suddenly filled with joy and anticipation.  I had been so ashamed of my background.  Constantly plagued by the taunting of the evil one.  “How can you be a pastor’s wife?”  “If people only knew….”
Yet for this brief moment the fear and shame were gone.  The veil departed and I distinctly saw a purpose for my painful past.  Yes, I was called to be a pastor’s wife, just like Paul was called to be an Apostle, in spite of my/his past.

I excitedly called to tell someone close to me, when she quickly shut me down.  “No way.” Your past is just that, the past.”  “Leave it there.”  “Keep it private, or people will use it against you.”

And just like that, the euphoria was gone.  The lies returned.  I shut my mouth.

Friends that was 24 years ago, and God recently brought that day back to me, as clear as if it were yesterday!

I am His sheep, I did hear His voice 24 years ago, and I will follow!  I have also learned a valuable lesson.  When the Good Shepherd speaks to our hearts through His Spirit, that doesn’t mean it is going to happen that day, or that year.

Jesus was 30 years old before His ministry was launched.

Moses was 80.

If you’ve heard His voice, wait for His timing, then He will give you grace to obey and follow Him! But remember, His voice will never contradict His Word.

“There comes a time to stop fearing God’s plan—a flash-point where we stop thinking about ourselves and we start thinking about what we can do for others.”
Jo Ann Fore, When a Woman Finds Her Voice

I’ve found my voice.  You can too.  Take the pledge!

And pre-order your copy of, When a Woman Finds Her Voice, by Jo Ann Fore.

17 thoughts on “His Sheep Hear His Voice

1. Jo Ann Fore

Oh Cheryl, all in His grace we follow. Thank you for this timely reminder. Recently, in the midst of a jubilant celebration, Satan snuck through and said, “You wasted so much time. Why bother now?”

He’s such a liar, no?!

I thank God for your transparency and your beautiful heart that will use every ounce of your past to serve HIM, to bring God glory.

2. Tina Evans

There was a time, in fact, several, that I heard the voice of God and turned away from it; fear, the voice of others, not trusting God’s voice. It is amazing how He can bring those moments right back up to make you realize you do need to be obedient. Thank you, Cheryl, for following. I have loved reading your voice these past few weeks. Blessings!

3. Barbara Ferreira

Cheryl, for some reason I can never comment online, it won’t let me type! I love hearing your voice and what you have to say and share. I remember a shower for you at your apt. in Corpus and the verse I wrote on my card for you was John 10:27 and I remember adding “by God’s grace, you are one of His sheep” and I don’t remember exactly what else, but this took me right back to that day. I think you had made one of your famour cherry dump cakes for us to eat:) Miss you, Barbara

_____

4. Susan

Cheryl, it is so meaningful to me. Thank you for bravely baring your heart and sharing this. I am strengthened and encouraged to see what God will do in the areas I feel most ashamed. Thank you so much. Susan

5. shanyns

It is 1:30 am and I’m reading this because I’m struggling. And your words convict me and encourage me. They remind me to listen to God – not the spirits of doubt and fear. Thank you for your strong voice.

6. My Secret Place

Thank you so much for this Cheryl!
    Our deepest wounds sometimes come from those closest to us. Sorry you had to go through that. Just last week, I was ‘cut to the quick’ by a comment from someone I used to hold dear when they ‘mockingly’ insinuated that my voice was useless as “I couldn’t give what I didn’t have”.
    I recognized where the ‘dagger’ was coming from but it didn’t make it any less painful.
    The devil IS a liar and a thief and a mocker and has no ‘bounds’ to the dirty lies/weapons he will use….BUT GOD!!! Its HIS VOICE that we listen to and heed above all others.
    Keep speaking, keep sharing, keep believing, keep releasing Your Voice!
    xoxo

7. Sarah Knepper

Cheryl,

I can remember feeling the same way when I would get excited and someone told me to stay quiet. How easily Satan deceives us with thinking we are no good. Thank you for this post, it is a reminder to me that we all mater to Him!!